Halo Fixes
Welcome!

This site is a central place to discuss solutions for issues with Halo (for example, if the server lobby is not available).

Hopefully we can help you fix your Halo problems.

You can browse the information here without logging in, but if you register for an account then you can ask questions (or provide answers).

¡Bienvenido!

Este sitio es un lugar central para discutir soluciones para los problemas con Halo (por ejemplo, si el lobby de los servidores no está disponible).

Espero que podamos ayudarle a solucionar sus problemas de Halo.

Puede navegar por la información aquí sin iniciar sesión, pero si usted se registra para una cuenta entonces usted puede hacer preguntas (o dar respuestas).

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Halo Fixes
Welcome!

This site is a central place to discuss solutions for issues with Halo (for example, if the server lobby is not available).

Hopefully we can help you fix your Halo problems.

You can browse the information here without logging in, but if you register for an account then you can ask questions (or provide answers).

¡Bienvenido!

Este sitio es un lugar central para discutir soluciones para los problemas con Halo (por ejemplo, si el lobby de los servidores no está disponible).

Espero que podamos ayudarle a solucionar sus problemas de Halo.

Puede navegar por la información aquí sin iniciar sesión, pero si usted se registra para una cuenta entonces usted puede hacer preguntas (o dar respuestas).
Halo Fixes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo and SRV Records

2 posters

Go down

Halo and SRV Records Empty Halo and SRV Records

Post by Cortexian Mon May 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Any chance that something could be implemented in 1.10 or a future patch that lets Halo check for SRV records while doing its networking?

I've got a website at halo-ce.com, and an A Record setup to direct traffic to 01.halo-ce.com to my game server IP. However I still need to punch in the Halo server port if it's non-standard in order to connect: 01.halo-ce.com:2310.

It would be awesome if I could use SRV records to point 01.halo-ce.com UDP traffic to port 2310 automatically.

My ideal solution is that I can setup something that only requires people to type in 01.halo-ce.com, 02.halo-ce.com, etc in order to connect to different servers. I want the sub-domain to "link" to a port for Halo traffic and I think SRV support would be a great way to implement this.

If anyone has any other suggestions for something like this... I'd be all ears.
Cortexian
Cortexian

Back to top Go down

Halo and SRV Records Empty Re: Halo and SRV Records

Post by Roger W Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 am

interesting idea, but since it would apparently require linking some new (and open source) library, it's probably out of scope for even future patches.

(Almost every fix that makes it in is a one-line change)
Roger W
Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortexian Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Darn,

Anyone have any ideas on how this could be setup at a local level? I'm thinking I could setup a proxy or something to redirect traffic, but I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

TeamSpeak 3 offers an app bundled with their server called "TSDNS" that basically lets you define which incoming hostnames connect to which servers. So you could theoretically say: traffic from 01.host.com goes to 192.168.1.1 and traffic from 02.host.com goes to 192.168.1.2 or something alone those lines.

Thoughts / Suggestions?
Cortexian
Cortexian

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger W Thu May 15, 2014 12:12 pm

most OSes have a file called "hosts" or .hosts which lets you build a manual DNS table like this. In Windows, it's located at

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and does just what you're asking.  I don't remember if the file exists by default, or just the sample "hosts.sam" file which does nothing until renamed. If you use Notepad to create the file, make sure it doesn't add a ".txt" extension to the file when saving.
Roger W
Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortexian Thu May 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Unfortunately the HOSTS file just handles redirection for outgoing traffic from the OS. I can manually tell my OS that example.com is located at 68.147.28.173, this is handy when you're experiencing DNS propagation issues but doesn't really help do what I want.

Here's a quote from the TSDNS readme, maybe it will explain what I'm trying to do (except I'm trying to do it for Halo CE Ded of course).

TS DNS is a system that allows TeamSpeak users to connect to servers that are
running on arbitrary ports without having to specify the port. The "TSDNS name"
is used by the system to determine IP and Port. It can be compared to some
extent to the "Virtual Host" system of Apache in its purpose, though the
technical aspects are very much different.

Motivation
----------
Say you own a server running on the IP 1.2.3.4 and Port 4321. Telling people
you want to join your server to join "1.2.3.4:4321" or (using regular DNS)
"myclanrocks.net:4321" works, but the port there is an extra source of
confusion to inexperienced users. It would be nice if you could just tell
people to join "myclanrocks.net" (as if your TS server were running on the
default port).

How it works
------------
A TSDNS server is a very simple network service that uses TCP/IP to listen on
port 41144 (default) and knows a list of (query,result) pairs. Upon connecting
to the TSDNS server you must submit your query and the TSDNS server will answer
you with the result, if it has this query in his list, or with "404" if no such
query is known to it. The result is supposed to be either an IP (which assumes
a port of 9987) or an IP:Port pair. Instead of a number as port the special